Hopkins, Michigan

Hopkins Michigan

The Village Of Hopkins

Image of Hopkins Village MI entrance sign

Hopkins is a village in Allegan County, Michigan, United States. The village has a population of 756 people and is located in Hopkins Township. Hopkins Public Schools is the only school district in the area.
Hopkins has a total area of 0.5 square miles (all land) and is home to 162 families. The population density per square mile was 1,137.1.

History Of Hopkins Michigan

John Hoffmaster made his home here in 1854. Hopkins post office opened on May 20, 1854, with Erastus Congdon as the first postmaster. With postmaster Henry F. Guyot, the Hopkins Station post office opened on March 28, 1870. The first railroad station opened in 1874 and was called “Hopkins Station.” Hoffmaster was the village’s first depot master and laid out the town. The Hopkins post office closed on May 31, 1904. The Hopkins Station post office name was shortened to Hopkins on June 6, 1906. Hopkins officially became a village in 1920.

Hopkins, MI Demographics

  • Population: 756
  • Male 43.2%, Female 56.8%
  • Average Resident Age: 26.1
  • Median Home Value: $141,271
  • Median Household Income: $68,899
  • Average Cars Per Household: 2
  • Average Work Commute: 24.4 min

Public Education In Hopkins

Hopkins Public Schools has been serving the Hopkins-Dorr community since 1844 and is a fully accredited rural school district in Allegan County. The district has two K-5 elementary schools, one 6th-8th grade middle school, one 9th-12th grade high school, and a 0-5 year-old Welcoming Schools program that serves a student population of approximately 1550.

Special education, gifted/talented, advanced placement classes, and dual enrollment are just some of the academic options available. Interscholastic athletics, club programs, and fine arts are just a few of the district’s extracurricular activities.

In 1996, the Hopkins community approved a $21 million bond issue to fund two new buildings, renovations to all facilities, and state-of-the-art technology to improve instruction delivery through converged networking. Another bond worth $2 million was passed by the district in 2007 to fund infrastructure and classroom improvements.

Call Now Button